Donal Cogdell Jr., also known as “Reflect,” is a passionate educator, hip-hop artist, motivational speaker, and minister of justice/advocacy. He serves as the National Director of Development for the K.I.N.G. Movement founded by Chris Broussard and as the Director of Justice for Hope Astoria Church in Queens, NY. As a hip-hop artist, he’s also released three albums, the latest of which is called “New History.”
Donal aims to be a pioneering Christian leader and in the spirit of community reform and revitalization, he hopes to one day open an educational institution focused on empowering African Americans to fulfill their potential and to combat systemic injustices harming Black & Brown communities. In his free time, Donal enjoys debating sports, writing, and playing basketball.
Summary of EPISODE:
What happens when God calls you to a life different from what you had dreamt up for yourself? With long-standing plans to play basketball professionally, rapper and activist who goes by Reflect initially felt uncomfortable when the Lord called him to community outreach instead of the court. In this episode of VOICES’ Where Ya From? podcast, Reflect joins host Rasool Berry to discuss giving God control and Jesus’ heart for justice.
Notes and Quotes:
- “When you don’t anticipate the fruit coming from a destination the way you expected, it doesn’t mean that God is not moving . . . .”
- On seeking justice, “I think sometimes as Christians we feel like, “Okay, it’s just good enough to do good works, and love people, love your neighbor.” But in the Bible, we see firsthand prophets that speak out against kings . . . .”
- “Justice is not just an Old Testament thing. Justice is central to the New Testament as well because it’s who God is.”
Links Mentioned In Show:
- Explore Reflect’s music on Spotify and Apple Music.
- Listen to Our Daily Bread Media’s Juneteenth: Faith & Freedom soundtrack on Spotify and Apple Music.
- Check out Reflect’s work with K.I.N.G. Movement and Hope Astoria Church in Queens, New York.
- Visit our website to sign up for emails. Get new episodes sent straight to your email.
- Tell us how much you love Where Ya From? by rating us five stars and leaving us a review.
- Check out our VOICES Collection from Our Daily Bread Ministries
- Follow Where Ya From? on Instagram.
- Follow VOICES on Instagram.
Verses Mentioned in Show:
- Story of Moses (Exodus)
- Story of Joseph (Genesis 37–50)
- Story of King David (1 and 2 Samuel)
- John 9
- Mark 6:14–29
- Matthew 21:12–17
- Luke 4:18
- Michah 6:8
- Luke 18:1–8
- Exodus 3:7
- Isaiah 30:18
- Luke 4:18
- Isaiah 61:1
- John 1:1