Sandra Maria Van Opstal is a second-generation Latina and the executive director of Chasing Justice. She is an author, pastor, and activist reimagining the intersection of faith and justice. Her work centers on chasing justice under the mentorship of the global church, for the mobilizing of the next generation of leaders.
Sandra has given leadership in global movements, such as Lausanne, The Justice Conference, and Urbana Missions Conference. She has also had a strong domestic presence as an executive pastor at Grace and Peace Church and as an activist on the west side of Chicago.
Sandra serves as a board member for the Christian Community Development Association. She holds a Masters of Divinity from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and is currently pursuing doctoral work in urban leadership and transformation. She is a contributor to the New York Times bestselling book A Rhythm of Prayer, and she’s also the author of The Next Worship, 40 Days on Being an Eight, and more.
Summary of EPISODE:
What does the Bible actually say about justice? Second-generation Latina author, pastor, and activist Sandra Van Opstal has spent her life chasing justice locally and globally. In this episode of VOICES’ Where Ya From? podcast, Sandra joins host Rasool Berry to discuss how Scripture fuels her mission to make change and mobilize the next generation of leaders.
Notes and Quotes:
- “I want to have that type of faith that is described in the Scriptures like oaks of righteousness with their roots so deeply rooted and so grounded that people around you, they know . . . that your praise to God isn’t an escapism from what is real in life. It’s deeply rooted in your experience of what has happened in life.”
- “When people ask me, ‘How did you get to live a lifestyle of justice?” I say, ‘Because it’s in the Bible.’”
- On the combination of worship and justice: “[If] you go to church, and your life is not marked by kindness, compassion, and justice, then I’m going to ask a question about who it is you’re worshiping.”
Links Mentioned In Show:
- Visit Sandra’s website.
- Browse Sandra’s books.
- Learn about InterVarsity’s campus ministry.
- Watch Our Daily Bread Media’s “In Pursuit of Jesus” docuseries, hosted by Rasool Berry.
- Visit our website to sign up for emails. Get new episodes sent straight to your email.
- Tell us how much you love Where Ya From? by rating us five stars and leaving us a review.
- Check out our VOICES Collection from Our Daily Bread Ministries
- Follow Where Ya From? on Instagram.
- Follow VOICES on Instagram.
Verses Mentioned in Show:
- Isaiah 61:3
- Matthew 5:6
- The Gospel of Luke
- Luke 4:18
- The story of Esther
- The story of Moses
- Hebrews 11
- James 1:19
- Micah 6:8
- Amos 5:1–17
- Isaiah 58, 60, 61
- Luke 24:32